Woman On Top: Fabiana Alves Borges

Professor Fabiana Alves Borges Talks about Her Roots, and Jiu-Jitsu for Women

Another solid proof that BJJ is for everyone. Professor Fabiana Alves Borges of Gracie Barra San Antonio represents a strong symbol of what women can do. She’s currently one of the women instructors at Gracie Barra that holds a black belt. Despite her busy schedule she still finds time to tend to her needs a as a woman. She says “95% of my time is dedicated to BJJ and the remaining 5% is that time I have for my hair, nails, and to go out dancing.”

Fabiana Alves Borges was born in Rio De Janeiro Brazil. At the age of 24, she is what we can probably call a woman who is on top of her game. A first degree black belt, she now works with her good friend Professor Jonatas “Rattinho” Eliaquim in Gracie Barra San Antonio.

“We met in 2010 in California, he came from France to fight the Worlds and at the time I was living in Irvine and teaching at Head Quarters, at the time we talked a little bit and he said he was planning to move to the USA to live and teach, I would not imagine I was going to move to  Austin, Texas and a while after he was coming to San Antonio then we started to talk again and the idea to work together came up. Now, we are working together to build a strong team in San Antonio,” she says.

Her roots in Jiu-Jitsu didn’t start out with Gracie Barra. “I started Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in Brazil in a small team under Professor Fabiano Gaudio. When I moved to the USA 4 years ago, I became a part of Gracie Barra under Professor Marcio Feitosa.”

A two time Pan American Champion back in 2009 and 2010, and a full time Jiu-Jitsu practitioner, Professor Fabiana says, “My work is only by teaching. Whenever I am not on the mats, I am working out or reading.” She trains for a total of two hours every day.

 I believe all women should try a class at least once in her lifetime.  -Professor Fabiana Alves Borges

When asked about her take on women and Jiu-Jitsu, her response was, “I believe all women should try a class at least once in her lifetime. BJJ is a great self-defense martial art. It helps you to get in great shape, gives you confidence. You do not have to be in shape to start training Jiu-Jitsu.” She adds, “Everyone can do it. BJJ is a martial art based on leverage. Women who may not have enough strength can learn it. It’s perfect for women.”

For those who don’t know a lot about about Professor Fabiana, what we can say is she is one tough cookie to deal with. “I am a really strong women, inside and out. I try to take all the experience that I have on the mats for my life. I always try to find a way to get out from bad situations, with the finest techniques. I love what I do and could not be happier.”





Comments are closed.