This week, Gracie Barra brings you Escapes. In the first year of training bjj, most students focus on learning how to escape from bottom positions. Subscribe to the Gracie Barra YouTube channel to be notified of new video techniques.
1) Knee on belly escape: Stiff arm to ankle pick sweep
Prof. Draculino shows how to escape from the difficult knee on belly and turn the escape into his own ankle pick takedown
2) Draculino – Head Lock Escape
If you have ever been caught in a head lock by a striong wrestler or judoka, you know how difficult it is to escape. Prof. Draculino shows us how to use a “car jack” to create leverage to escape.
3) Mount escape – Guard recovery after opponent posts his leg
Your opponent counters your bridge and roll escape by posting his leg. This stops the bridge, but creates an opening for you to recover your guard!
4) Side Mount Control Escape
Prof. Danillo Coltro & Coach Fabio Bertolli from Grace Barra demonstrate an escape from side mount control. * Note the sleeve grip that he uses to place his foot and create the distance.
5) Mount Escape by Prof. Marco Joca w/ Prof. Marcio Feitosa
Prof Marco Joca shows an unusual escape that uses a stiff arm grip to the opponent’s armpit to create the room to escape
5) Mount escape – bridge and roll when being headlocked
Prof. Draculino demonstrates how to escape from your opponent’s low mount with head control.
* Note the detail on the hand on hip
Credits: Mark Mullen
Gracie Barra Black belt based in Saigon, Vietnam