This week Gracie Barra Techniques brings you various techniques to attack the opponent’s legs.
Did you know that Gracie Barra Brazil’s YouTube channel is FILLED with great techniques from GB schools from all over Brazil?
Subscribe to the Gracie Barra Brazil YouTube channel to be notified of new video techniques.
Due to the rules of IBJJF competition, leg locks are not stressed as much for lower belts in many jiu-jitsu academies. As you gain experience, you must study the ways to control and attack the opponent’s legs.
Let us have a look at some of the advanced techniques that these GB instructors show to leg lock opponents.
1) Knee Bar from Butterfly Guard / Leg lock partindo da Guarda Aberta
When you elevate your opponent with the butterfly sweep and your opponent keeps their balance, you can switch to the knee bar.
2) Escape the mount to foot lock / Saída da Montada + Finalização de Chave de Pé
Transition from a mount escape right into your own foot lock attack!
3) X-Guard to Kneebar / Transição da Guarda-X para a Chave de Joelho
The X-Guard is an advanced position that is primarily a sweeping position, but as we see here, can also attack the knee bar.
4) Calf Slicer / Chave de panturrilha partindo da guarda aberta
A great movement from open guard to attack an uncommon leg submission when the opponent turns away.
5) Knee bar and foot lock from spider guard / Chave de Joelho e Chave de Pé.
The Estima brothers Braulio and Vitor teach how to use a strong spider guard sweep to get under the opponent and attack the legs.
on Gracie Barra : Your Side Control Checklist : 5 Tips For You
Credits: Mark Mullen
Gracie Barra Black belt based in Saigon, Vietnam