Gracie Barra is an outstanding organization focused on providing the highest level of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu instruction as a tool for individual growth, as well as strengthening of families and communities for people of all ages, genders and backgrounds.
While this definition may seem obvious for those familiar with the organization, GB’s unique philosophy and vision inspires its instructors, administrative staff and other members, to embrace the ambitious challenge of bringing GB Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to as many people as possible or, using Master Carlos’ words, to establish a GB school in each city in the world.
At the moment you decided to become a Gracie Barra member, this challenge became yours. Like the many people who came before you, your life will be partially or fully dedicated towards the accomplishment of that vision.
Therefore, it is essential to have a deep understanding of the origins of GB and how its philosophy, vision, methods and tools were forged.
The Black Belt Certification
The gentle art is based on the fundamental principles of balance, efficiency, effectiveness, adaptation, mutual support, and leverage. During practice, the student is constantly making use of these principles to accomplish a desired goal, be it a sweep, a take down, an escape, or a choke, to name a few examples.
A persons progress in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a consequence of mastering these principles. It is natural for the student to draw parallels between the challenges faced on the mats with the challenges faced in his/her daily life. Once that happens, the student begins a process of personal transformation leading to significant improvement in his or her lifestyle and well being.
Being a GB Black Belt means being in an advanced stage in the process of improving the quality of life through the practice of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. The GB Black Belts have experienced a significant improvement in their lifestyle and well-being through the practice of Jiu-Jitsu.
The GB Black Belts are committed to develop themselves to their fullest potential, always seeking to attain perfection of character.
If you are a Gracie Barra Black Belt, join us for this amazing project to create a global database. Let’s tell the world about us! To participate, receive a certificate and be listed on the website, fill up this form.
Gracie Barra Instructors Certification Program
The high demand of qualified instructors has increased exponentially in recent years for the Jiu-Jitsu community. Each year the Association revises the ICP program with a team of black belt instructors from around the globe. These revisions ensure that the program remains true to Master Carlos Gracie Jr.’s philosophies, principles and high standards of instruction while at the same time focusing on improvements to enhance the instructors tool set. Upon completion of this course, instructors will be provided with a certificate that is valid for a year.
The GB Instructors Certification Program is divided in three parts
- Classroom Activities – Live & On Demand
- Practical Instruction Activities
- Testing Activities.
Classroom Activities – Live & On Demand
The program is subdivided in seven different Courses that must be fully completed by participants. Each of the seven courses will be broken down into several modules that will involve:
- Reading materials;
- Q&A exercises;
Note: Some training modules will require the participants take part in live sessions. Participants will be able to join live training sessions online or on-site by visiting our headquarters in Irvine, CA.
Other important information about the structure of classroom and online activities:
- Each course will be dedicated to one major area of the Gracie Barra Instructors Handbook;
- An average of two hours will be required from each participants to complete each module;
- Most courses will be available for 7 days starting on Monday each week;
- Whenever a live session is scheduled it will take place on Monday from 8am to 9am Pacific time;
Practical Instruction Activities
All participants must fulfill the practical work requirements listed below. It is the head instructor’s responsibility to provide a report on behalf of the participants stating that he or she has fulfilled the hours required on:
- Future Champions classes throughout the course of the program;
- Fundamentals classes throughout the course of the program;
- Teaching Future Champions classes under supervision;
- Teaching Fundamentals classes under supervision;
Note: To be eligible for graduation, each participant must provide a practical-instruction card with dates of the activities performed signed by the head instructor;
The GB Instructors Certification Program will runs for 90 days. The program is divided in four main phases:
Registration Phase – Significant Dates:
- Registration opens;
- Registration closes;
Learning Phase – Significant Dates:
- Course 1: Gracie Barra – Jiu-Jitsu for Everyone;
- Course 2: History of Gracie Barra Jiu-Jitsu;
- Course 3: Gracie Barra Teaching Methods;
- Course 4: Great Instruction Defined;
- Course 5: Gracie Barra Programs;
- Course 6: Students Progress;
- Course 7: Competition at Gracie Barra;
Testing Phase – Significant Dates:
- Participants Practical Instruction Activities report deadline;
- Questions and Answers multiple choice test opens;
- Questions and Answers multiple choice test closes;
- Deadline for delivering essay about Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu;
Graduation – Significant Dates
- List of approved participants disclosed;
- Graduation Ceremony;
The Gracie Barra Instructor Certification Program (ICP) is available year round. If you are looking to enhance your instruction and are working within a Gracie Barra school, please email@example.com sending a list with your name, school, email and upon approval you will receive a registration account.