“Adversity does not bring out the best or worse in men. It reveals their true self.”
How do you react to the falls you experience in life? How do you cope with failure? There is no magic way to overcome obstacles. However, the ancient martial arts principle of “maximum efficiency with minimum effort” can become a means of dealing with adversity.
A classic example of this principle in martial arts would be achieving victory over an opponent who is physically stronger through the use of technique. In other words, to win without fighting against the opponent’s strength or by even using his power to your own advantage. Victory at the cost of little spent energy.
How can we apply this principle in our daily routine and improve the overall quality of our life?
For example, we can make use of the teachings behind this basic principle of martial arts in the face of adversity or every time we have to deal with a major problem in our lives.
5 tips for dealing more effectively with daily problems:
1) Think before you act : Just as it’s impossible to fight without breathing and keeping calm in Jiu-Jitsu it is also important to avoid applying principles on the mats you are not yet fully capable of understanding. Always think and act according to your own principles.
2) Take a deep breath and think about what you can learn from the situation: Instead of getting angry and short-sighted after a fight is over with you can learn valuable lessons from what happened . When faced with a problem or obstacle on the mats of life, don’t overlook the lesson you’re being taught- there is always one in form of the experience we gain.
3) Seek to improve your defense mechanisms: As your defense techniques in Jiu-Jitsu improve this helps you conserve energy and concentrate on training. On the mats of life regular exercise, meditation and other activities that help you take your mind off the problem will help you solve things quicker and more efficiently.
4) If you are afraid to tackle the problem, be brave and face it: Courage is necessary in Jiu-Jitsu, you can face the best training partners around to challenge your technique and mental strength on the mats of life. It’s important to face all problems because ignoring them will not make them go away. In fact it may even make them worse. Search for courage deep in your soul and face adversity.
5) Ask yourself: Is this the end of the world? The answer almost always will be negative. This too shall pass and a new day will come. Problems are part of everyday life, and life is about embracing change, even though it can be stressful and frightening. Your reaction and response stress in the situation determines how successful you will be in solving the problem. The most important thing when experiencing the downfalls of life are to not allow them to turn into a permanent state.
Remember : despair only worsens the situation as it makes things seem harder and more difficult than they really are. Try to see each adversity as something to learn and evolve from, thus becoming stronger, more experienced and wiser. Believe that things will work out. Do not forget that some things take time and require patience while others cannot be solved without the help of other people, so get to work!
Jiu-Jitsu for Everyone