The GB squad is looking better than ever
The GB Family is super excited with the GB Compnet-Camp Pan Am 2012, all the GB competitors are looking fantastic and the GB squad is looking better than ever! Tournaments are an excellent time to put your skills to the test and learn a lot about yourself. We would like to share some last minute tips for the GB athletes that will be competing next week at the Pan Am and also for the ones getting ready for the GB CompNet tournament in October:
- Know when your tournament is ahead of time. Knowing how much time you have to prepare allows you to maximize the time you have before the tournament day.
- Register for the tournament. Often by pre-registering you receive a discount.
- Practice, practice, practice! It may sound redundant, but practice at every opportunity. Attend all of your classes as well as practice outside of class. Use this time to improve any sparring techniques you may need.
- Get plenty of rest the night before the tournament. You will not perform your best if you are tired or do not receive sufficient sleep.
- Eat a good breakfast/lunch. Eat foods that will give you plenty of energy.
- Arrive early to the tournament location. Arriving early allows you to get confortable with the new environment and get together with your team mates.
- Breathe. If you are nervous or tense, you will not perform well. Clear your mind. Focus only on what you are doing and take deep breaths to help you to relax.
Some extra useful tips are:
- Watch other competitors. Watch what they do. By observing beforehand you can have an advantage.
- Drink plenty of water or other sports drink. It’s important to stay hydrated. Not being hydrated will not allow you to perform at your best.
- If you are fighting, pay attention to your opponent. A loss of focus even for one second can result in a loss on your part.
- Listen to your instructors. Follow the instructions they give you and consider their advice. They’ve been to tournaments before (and likely participated in them themselves) and may be able to give you tips that may help you.
- Show sportsmanship. After you are learning BJJ for life.
GB Compnet Staff.